United States confirms death of militant involved in USS Cole bombing

Trump claims US killed al-Qaida militant tied to USS Cole bombing

USS Cole bomber died in Yemen air strike - Trump

The U.S. military killed a suspected al-Qaida operative believed to have orchestrated an attack on the USS Cole in 2000, President Donald Trump said Sunday.

Al-Badawi was struck while driving alone in a vehicle, an administration official told CNN.

Spokesman of the US Central Command Capt Bill Urban said: "Jamal al-Badawi was killed in a precision strike in Marib governate on January 1".

In October 2000, 17 American sailors from the guided-missile destroyer USS Cole died in a suicide bomb attack at Aden harbor. Our work against al Qaeda continues. Urban could not confirm the Al Qaeda operative's death, saying US forces were still assessing the results.

"We will never stop in our fight against Radical Islamic Terrorism!" he added.

A federal grand jury indicted Badawi on 50 counts in 2003 for the bombing in which a one of a group of small boats from Yemen's pulled up along the Cole and apparently detonated a "significant" explosive package. However, he escaped from prison in Yemen twice-once in 2003 and again in 2006.

Kliff Kingsbury To Interview With Cardinals, Jets
When you accepted a job at one place, and sign a contract, you don't ask to interview at another place, two weeks later. It was reported earlier that the Jets had interest in interviewing Kingsbury as a possible replacement for Todd Bowles.

The attack's alleged planner, Saudi-born Abd al-Nashiri, is being held in United States custody at Guantanamo Bay and could face the death penalty. "We have just killed the leader of that attack, Jamal al-Badawi", Trump said in the tweet.

There was a $7 million ($US5 million) reward for information leading to his arrest.

The death of Badawi removes perhaps the last major figure in the USS Cole attack from the battlefield.

He surrendered in 2007 but was released after cooperating in the capture of other al-Qaeda operatives.

"The coordinator and the main planner of the attack, Abd al-Nashiri, is still alive in Guantanamo Bay".

Latest News