Migrant Girl, 7 Dies in Border Patrol Custody

Central American migrants walk along the U.S. border fence looking for places to cross in Tijuana Mexico

MoreCloseclosemoreCentral American migrants walk along the U.S. border fence looking for places to cross in Tijuana Mexico

A seven-year-old girl who US officials say tried to cross the Mexico-US border illegally with her family has died hours after being taken into custody. "Her death is on this administration's hands", the group wrote on Twitter.

"Border Patrol agents took every possible step to save the child's life under the most trying of circumstances", Mr Meehan said.

She also said that the stalemate on border wall financing is a "terrible example of politics at its worst". "Claims good health", the form reads. The father reportedly checked the box on the I-779 immigration form that said his daughter had no current illnesses.

The cause of death was septic shock, fever and dehydration. The results could take weeks.

The father is in El Paso, Texas awaiting a meeting with Guatemalan consular officials, the Post said, quoting CBP, which said it is investigating the incident. The official requested anonymity because he was not authorized to share information.

It is not known whether the girl who died was provided with food or water upon her arrival at the holding cells. He is not detained.

Earlier this week, The San Diego Union-Tribune reported that two migrant groups from Central America marched to the U.S. Consulate in Tijuana, demanding the money, that deportations be stopped and that the processing of asylum seekers be done faster.

Facebook HQ buildings evacuated due to a bomb scare
In April, a lady opened shoot at its base camp in San Francisco , injuring three individuals previously she shot herself dead. Menlo Park police said in a statement: "Avoid the area of the 200 block of Jefferson Drive in Menlo Park".

Homeland Security said an "accompanied female juvenile detainee" started having seizures after she was detained. It's an unforgiving terrain where Geronimo made his last stand and it remains largely isolated with no cell service and few paved roads. Only one bus is available in this area and CBP protocols call for unaccompanied minors to be transported first. "What happened here was they were about 90 miles away from where we could process them".

At about 6 a.m., the bus arrived at the Lordsburg Station and the girl had reportedly stopped breathing. Her body temperature was recorded by emergency responders as 105.7 degrees. She died a few hours later.

"It's heart-wrenching is what it is, and my heart goes out to the family", Nielsen said in an appearance on "Fox & Friends." But, again, I can not stress how unsafe this journey is when migrants come illegally.

When a Border Patrol agent arrests an individual, they get processed at a facility but usually spend no more than 72 hours in custody before they are either transferred to Immigration and Customs Enforcement or, if they are Mexican, quickly deported home.

Immigrants, attorneys and activists have long raised issues with the conditions of Border Patrol holding cells.

Agents in Arizona see groups of more than 100 people on a regular basis, sometimes including infants and toddlers. They were part of a group of 163 people who surrendered to CBP agents in New Mexico after crossing a remote stretch of desert.

On Thursday, ABC News reported on the death of 52-year-old Gerardo Cruz, a father of six who died after 25 days in CBP custody, where his cellmate said he was throwing up blood.

Latest News