Fortnite creator challenges Google Play and Steam with Epic Games Store

Epic Games to undercut Valve with own PC games store

Epic Games is launching an Android game store in 2019 with 88% revenue share

CNET has reached out to Epic Games for additional comment, and will update should we hear back.

He also shares his optimism for the future of the Epic Games Store, pointing out that it's a long-term project with plans to extend and improve on the storefront.

Epic is offering what seems like a sweet deal for developers who get involved with the project. This latest installment was announced in 2014 as a sort of opensource development version of the game.

However, Steam recently announced a reduction in its commissions for large developers, presumably to preempt the launch of Epic Games' store. The store will launch with a hand-curated set of games on PC and Mac, then it will open up more broadly to other games and to Android and other open platforms throughout 2019. Epic claims it will take a 12% share across the board, regardless of whether a developer uses Unreal Engine 4 or not. Games that generate between $10 million and $50 million in revenue will only see 25% of that revenue taken by Valve. To jumpstart the creator economy, Epic will cover the first 5% of creator revenue-sharing for the first 24 months.

It is unclear how gamers will benefit from the Store as Epic Games has not revealed anything about the Store's functionality and features. For many older fans, the one Epic Games title they're waiting for information on is the upcoming Unreal Tournament.

Qualcomm Unveils Snapdragon 855 Processor for 5G Phones
There has been a lot of speculations about the name of the flagship Mobile Solution from Qualcomm. For now, it is not known if any companies have adopted Qualcomm's new sensor for their products.

With the Epic Games Store, Epic will be taking only 12% of the revenue from developers, leaving them with a far more substantial 88%.

"Because of the high volume of Fortnite transactions, we can process store payments, serve bandwidth, and support customers very efficiently", Epic Games said.

Steam was originally a form of digital rights management (DRM) produced by Valve Software in a bid to protect its own games from piracy.

"Thursday during The Game Awards don't miss a @fortnitegame announcement and world premiere from Epic's @DonaldMustard, streaming live at 9 PM ET / 6 PM PT everywhere", the tweet reads.

Creative will be a greatly expanded version of the existing Playground mode and allows you to build your own levels and create your own mini-games, in what sounds like nod to fellow child-friendly games such as Minecraft and Roblox.

Latest News