That Saudi Arabia would allow foreigners to enter a consulate and search it shows the growing global pressure the kingdom faces over the disappearance of Mr Khashoggi, a critic of Saudi Arabia and contributor to the Washington Post.
Saudi Arabia's ambassador to the US, Prince Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz, said claims Khashoggi had been killed or detained by Saudi authorities were 'absolutely false, and baseless, ' according to a statement provided to CNN.
A Turkish official also said Saudi Arabia's envoy to Ankara had been summoned to the foreign ministry for a second time on Sunday and had been asked by Turkish diplomats to be "in full coordination" on the matter.
He added that investigations are still ongoing. "The consulate officials can not save themselves by simply saying 'he has left, '" the Turkish president added. "But it seems clear that Saudi Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman feels emboldened by the Trump administration's unquestioning support".
After several of his friends were arrested, his column was cancelled by the al-Hayat newspaper and he was allegedly warned to stop tweeting, Mr Khashoggi left Saudi Arabia for the U.S., from where he wrote opinion pieces for the Washington Post and continued to appear on Arab and Western TV channels.
Security camera footage showed Khashoggi entering the consulate shortly after 1 p.m. that day.
Friends of Khashoggi had planned on Tuesday to hold a funeral prayer for him, which had been expected to turn into a demonstration against Saudi Arabia.
"Just met the Saudi ambassador to seek urgent answers over Jamal Khashoggi", U.K. foreign minister Jeremy Hunt said on Twitter.
There was no immediate comment on the report from the Saudi authorities.
Ousted Guardians of the Galaxy director switches camps, tied to new DC Comics film
But it also looked like O'Connor was moving on to reteam with Ben Affleck on the sports drama The Has-Been . As of right now, it sounds like they'll be using his script, but they have yet to find a director.
OSMAN ORSAL/REUTERS/NewscomNearly a week after the Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi disappeared, suspicions are rising that the regime in Riyadh has silenced him.
The Saudi journalist, missing for a week, Jamal Khashoggi was sent to the Saudi Arabian consulate in Istanbul from the Saudi Embassy in Washington DC.
The two Turkish sources told Reuters on Saturday that Turkish authorities believe Khashoggi was deliberately killed inside the consulate, a view echoed by one of Erdogan's advisers, Yasin Aktay, who is a friend of the Saudi journalist.
Erdogan himself has not publicly accused Saudi Arabia of killing Khashoggi. Its passengers went straight to the consulate and then left in the evening for Egypt.
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on the same day called for "a thorough investigation of Mr Khashoggi's disappearance and to be transparent about the results" of the probe.
President Donald Trump and European leaders all have called on Riyadh to explain what happened to the 59-year-old journalist who has criticized the Saudi government.
The prince promised social and economic reform, but Khashoggi pointed to the escalating crackdown on dissent voices and the media in Saudi Arabia.
Mr Khashoggi, who was living in self-imposed exile in the United States and working for the Washington Post before his disappearance, was a frequent critic of the kingdom's de facto ruler Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, whom he described as a "brash and abrasive young innovator" who was "acting like Putin".
"We are aware of the latest reports and are working urgently to establish the facts, including with the government of Saudi Arabia", the representative said. "I know nothing right now. Why don't you prove it, you have to prove it".