Texas Pool Closes After 'Brain- Eating Amoeba' Kills Visitor

The multi-discipline surfer Kai Lenny models the inflatable back carrot

The multi-discipline surfer Kai Lenny models the inflatable back carrot

A New Jersey man has been killed by a brain-eating parasite he may have contracted at a wave pool in Texas, reports claim.

Stabile reportedly had days of severe headaches until he eventually couldn't move or speak properly.

An obituary in The Press of Atlantic City describes Mr Stabile as an avid outdoorsman who loved fishing, surfing and snowboarding.

The amoeba, called Naegleria fowleri, is typically seen in fresh water.

Per WFAA, the BSR Surf Resort in Waco chose to close down its wave pool while the CDC tests the water for the microbe, whose scientific name is Naegleria fowleri.

Naegleria fowleri can not be contracted by swallowing contaminated water, according to the CDC.

Best Buy accidentally sold a 3rd generation Chromecast to a customer
The device retains a micro-USB port and removed the magnets for the HDMI connector to tuck to the bottom of the device. What we know so far about this new Chromcast is that it'll support Bluetooth and have faster Wi-Fi connections.

Doctors first thought he was suffering from meningitis, but tests revealed he had Naegleria fowleri the day before his death, when it was too late to treat the infection.

The infection is extremely rare, but very deadly. The amoeba is commonly found in warm freshwater such as lakes, rivers, ponds and canals. Once the amoeba enters the nose, it travels to the brain where it causes PAM (which destroys brain tissue) and is usually fatal.

Infections can happen when contaminated water enters the body through the nose.

Naegleria fowleri infections are rare. "We hope to have results by the end of the week", Waco-McLennan County Public Health District spokeswoman Kelly Craine said.

The owner of the resort, Stuart E. Parsons Jr., said he will continue to comply with requests related to the investigation of Stabile's death, who died in New Jersey earlier this month after falling ill with Naegleria fowleri. Most infections occur from exposure to contaminated recreational water.

Latest News