At least 11 people were killed and a further 44 were injured when a vehicle ploughed into crowds in a public square in central China.
The vehicle drove onto the square in Hengdong county, part of Hengyang city in Hunan province, shortly before 8pm local time, the Hengyang government said in a statement.
Videos of the incident were posted to social media and widely shared, depicting scenes of carnage and chaos in the square, which was crowded for an event.
The death toll has risen to 11 with another 44 people hospitalised after a man allegedly drove an SUV deliberately into a crowd in central China before jumping out and attacking victims with a dagger and shovel, local authorities said Thursday.
Police have taken the driver - a man in his mid-40s - into custody, according to a report published by the state-funded news website The Paper, which added that a person matching the description of the alleged assailant had previously been jailed on drug charges.
6 people killed in series of shootings in Bakersfield
It was also not known what had sparked the shootings , which saw all six people die in a short amount of time, Mr Youngblood said. He then shot his wife and another man - before he ventured into a nearby neighborhood and shot a married couple.
A local government statement described it as a "deliberate, malicious case of driving with intent to injure". No other motive has been offered.
China has experienced violent attacks in public places in recent years, including bombings and arson of buses and buildings.
Three attackers also died in the incident, which Beijing blamed on separatists from the restive western region of Xinjiang.
In April of this year, nine students were killed and 10 injured in a knife attack outside a school in the Shaanxi province in Northern China. Islamist extremists claimed responsibility for both attacks.
Officials said in the hours after the attack that nine people had been killed.