Greg Manteufel remains hospitalized at a Milwaukee area hospital.
"It's extremely rare. Do not get rid of your pets". Writing in the medical journal BMJ Case Reports, they said she developed confusion, a headache, diarrhea, a high fever, and eventually sepsis and organ failure.
"Sometimes (the blood pressure) decreases so much that the arms and legs just die", Munoz-Price said. His wife, who took him to the hospital, has said that those bruises were not there just before she took him to the hospital. The infection was quickly cleared with antibiotics, but the problem in Manteufel's case "was that his body mounted an overwhelming response to this original blood infection and he shut down the circulation of his limbs", the doctor said. They later amputated more of each leg, up to the knee caps, and both of his hands. He had further surgery to remove dead tissue and muscle from his leg amputations, and, this week, he will have two more surgeries to remove dead tissue.
"His nose will need extensive repairs, which means he will need plastic surgery to rebuild a new healthy nose", it added.
While the infection had been seen before in people who'd been bitten by dogs, the doctors noted it was highly unusual that this woman apparently contracted it from her dog who had licked her. He and his wife own an 8-year-old pit bull, but she said her husband came in contact with several dogs in the days leading to his infection, including a stray he encountered during his job as a house painter. In fact, up to 74 percent of dogs and up to 57 percent of cats have Capnocytophaga detected in their mouths.
"We have trillions of bacteria in our bodies".
First woman fined in Denmark for wearing full-face veil
Other countries that have fully or partially banned the niqab include France, Bulgaria, Austria and the German state of Bavaria. The woman was also asked to either remove the veil or leave, opting for the latter, according to the AP.
She told Washington Post that her husband, a dog-lover, had been around eight dogs at the time when he fell ill. We hope that Greg will be able to recover as soon as possible and lead a happy life with his beloved family.
Capnocytophaga can cause opportunistic infections, meaning they have to have the right conditions to cause an infection, such as when a person has a weakened immune system.
They plan to move back to Greg's parents' one-level home temporarily so that he can move around easily.
A GoFundMe page has been set up for his family, which has since raised US$65,000 (S$89,000) of the US$100,000 goal.
Despite the severity of his illness, Dawn says Manteufel has remained positive, saying "it is what it is, so we have to move forward".