A US State Department official has confirmed with Sputnik that two individuals from the US Embassy in Cuba are undergoing medical evaluations and may possibly be new cases in a string of mysterious illnesses that have struck diplomats at the diplomatic facility.
University of Pennsylvania researchers studied that troubling pattern among USA government employees stationed in Cuba earlier this year, and now they are evaluating a similar scenario among others stationed in China, the Associated Press reports.
According to a source in the state Department, both are considered to be "probably new", but has not yet been "confirmed from a medical point of view".
A previous statement in May only mentioned the southern Chinese city of Guangzhou as the location for the health alert, though it was sent to USA citizens throughout the country. The United States has said it doesn't know who is behind it, but has argued Cuba is responsible for protecting all diplomats on its soil. The incident rattled U.S. -Cuba relations, but the occurrence of similar symptoms in China has raised suspicions about whether China, Russia, or another country might be to blame.
Trump, Macron Cool Down The Buddy Act At Canada's G7
Trudeau said his nation is insulted that Trump unilaterally imposed stiff tariffs on Canada for "national security" reasons. Russian Federation was thrown out of the group in 2014 over the annexation of Crimea.
The State Department responded by pulling 60 percent of its workers out of the Havana embassy in early October and expelled two-thirds of Cuba's staff in Washington.
Cuba said it remained ready to work with the United States to determine what, if anything, was causing the illnesses after its own investigation had uncovered no evidence of foul play. It called for people to be attentive of symptoms including "dizziness, headaches, tinnitus, fatigue, cognitive issues, visual problems, ear complaints and hearing loss, and difficulty sleeping". "Instead, move to a different location". The Foreign Ministry said Thursday the USA had not formally raised the matter with Beijing. The U.S. government has deemed those incidents "specific attacks" on American workers but hasn't publicly identified a cause or culprit.
It serves four southern provinces with a combined population of more than 204 million and processes more than 1 million visa applications of all types annually.
The alert comes as a USA medical team is screening more Americans who work at the Guangzhou consulate.